In light of the university’s alternate operations, The Writing Center invites graduate students to participate in a virtual dissertation retreat this June!
All Ph.D. candidates at any stage in the dissertation process are eligible to participate. For more information, see below.
To request a spot: Email Rob Patterson, director of The Writing Center at email@example.com. Please include information regarding your program, where you are in the dissertation process, and a timeline for the work you hope to complete this summer. The deadline to apply is Monday, May 25, 2020.
Cost: The retreat is free to participants.
What: Twelve dissertation writers from across the university coming together (virtually) for two weeks of concentrated dissertation-writing time each morning in a supportive group setting:
- Morning Zoom meeting with brief warm-up activities designed to jump start writing
- Focused, sustained work on dissertations in scheduled blocks of writing time
- Two online discussions on issues and strategies related to dissertation writing (each Wednesday around lunchtime)
- Priority access to one-on-one dissertation consultations with Writing Center staff
- Advice and support from fellow graduate students
- Brief cool-down activities designed to facilitate the next day’s writing (Zoom meeting)
- Goal-setting and supportive accountability
When: Mondays through Fridays, June 15-June 26, 2020. We begin each day at 9:00 and end at 12:00. One-on-One support available each afternoon.
Where: Online and in the comfort of your own home!
Why: To help dissertation writers
- Maintain their writing momentum over the summer, OR
- Gain momentum from a less-than-productive spring and head into the summer having produced quality writing
- Build supportive, interdisciplinary relationships among dissertation writers
- Learn balanced and effective writing strategies and habits that continue post-degree
- Learn how to provide productive feedback to peers
Questions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org