More information about our next summer dissertation retreat will be posted in late spring 2022.
All Ph.D. candidates at any stage in the dissertation process are eligible to participate. For more information, see below.
To request a spot: Email Rob Patterson, director of The Writing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include information regarding your program, where you are in the dissertation process, and a timeline for the work you hope to complete this summer. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 23, 2021.
Cost: The retreat is free to participants.
What: Twelve dissertation writers from across the university coming together (virtually) for two weeks of concentrated dissertation-writing time each morning in a supportive group setting:
- Morning Zoom meeting with brief warm-up activities designed to jump start writing
- Focused, sustained work on dissertations in scheduled blocks of writing time
- Two online discussions on issues and strategies related to dissertation writing (each Wednesday around lunchtime)
- Priority access to one-on-one dissertation consultations with Writing Center staff
- Advice and support from fellow graduate students
- Brief cool-down activities designed to facilitate the next day’s writing
- Goal-setting and supportive accountability
When: Mondays through Fridays, May 24-June 4, 2021 (except Memorial Day). We begin each day at 9:00 and end at 12:00. One-on-One support available each afternoon.
Where: Online and in the comfort of your own home!
Why: To help dissertation writers
- Maintain their writing momentum over the summer, OR
- Gain momentum from a less-than-productive spring and head into the summer having produced quality writing
- Build supportive, interdisciplinary relationships among dissertation writers
- Learn balanced and effective writing strategies and habits that continue post-degree
- Learn how to provide productive feedback to peers
Questions: Email email@example.com