For Summer 2022, we are offering TWO different dissertation retreats, including a virtual retreat in June and an in-person retreat in early August. Please see below for dates.
All Ph.D. candidates at any stage in the dissertation process are eligible to participate. For more information, see below.
To request a spot: Email Rob Patterson, director of The Writing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include information regarding your program, where you are in the dissertation process, and a timeline for the work you hope to complete this summer. Please be sure to indicate whether you’re applying for the virtual retreat in June, the in-person retreat in August, or both. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 13, 2022.
Cost: The retreat is free to participants.
What: Dissertation writers from across the university coming together for two weeks of concentrated dissertation-writing time each morning in a supportive group setting:
- Morning meeting with brief warm-up activities designed to jump start writing
- Focused, sustained work on dissertations in scheduled blocks of writing time
- Two workshop discussions on issues and strategies related to dissertation writing (each Wednesday around lunchtime)
- Priority access to one-on-one dissertation consultations with Writing Center staff
- Advice and support from fellow graduate students
- Brief cool-down activities designed to facilitate the next day’s writing
- Goal-setting and supportive accountability
Why: To help dissertation writers
- Maintain their writing momentum over the summer, OR
- Gain momentum from a less-than-productive spring and head into the summer having produced quality writing
- Build supportive, interdisciplinary relationships among dissertation writers
- Learn balanced and effective writing strategies and habits that continue post-degree
- Learn how to provide productive feedback to peers
Virtual Retreat in June: Monday, June 20-Thursday, June 30 (except Saturday and Sunday). We begin each day at 9:00am central time and end at noon. One-on-One support available each afternoon. This option will take place online via Zoom.
In-person Retreat in August: Monday, August 1-Friday, August 12 (except Saturday and Sunday). We begin each day at 9:00am central time, break for lunch, and resume for afternoon writing sessions until 3:00pm. One-on-one support is also available each afternoon. This option will take place in The Writing Center on the lower level of Mallinckrodt.
When applying, please be sure to indicate whether you are applying for the virtual retreat in June, the in-person retreat in August, or both.
Questions: Email email@example.com